Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday 1st June

Today I started painting the shutters. It’s a big job and I am very pleased it is my last set of shutters and windows to do. We have a bunch of horrible brown tiles along most of one wall in the old kitchen, now the bedroom, and I’m experimenting painting them white instead of going through the torture of chipping them off and replastering and sanding the wall before painting it. This wall will form the back of the wardrobe so it really won’t be seen and we figure the shortcut will be fine.

We’ve just had lunch and J is strung out on the sofa having a ‘papa’ nap. It’s 29.6° outside and 26.2 inside according to our thermometer. We now close our doors each morning when the temperature rises  and open them up later when the air temp outside is cooler than inside. We’re keen to take the scooter out on a little jaunt, i.e. to the town nearby where we can get more of our shutter paint etc. Not very exciting but it would be nice to have a bit of a blast.

We are a little tied to home though because we are waiting on two deliveries that haven’t showed up. One is for two floor-standing fans and the other is for my bicycle. Both are days overdue. The system here is for goods that have been ordered (and often they can only be purchased online) are shipped out to a delivery depot, which then on-ships it to your door. However, there are no contact details for the transportation depot, which makes it rather hard to find out why the goods haven’t arrived. I’m sure it will sort itself out…sometime.

This afternoon we did get out on the scooter for a good clothes shopping expedition at Le Boulou, as we are a little sick of the same old clothes day after day. It was 34° as we were heading out at 3pm, and with a few extra layers on for safety we were a tad too warm! Most successful – we found heaps of stuff at Kiabi and had the topbox full on our return trip, plus a replacement speaker system tucked under Karen’s arm. I’m listening to it as I write - well worth the effort to swap it as it is enormously better.

I’m writing this last bit at 9pm, still 27° inside and out. We haven’t found the temperatures as uncomfortable as we perhaps expected. The humidity remains low which no doubt makes the difference.