Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday 23rd - Scrubbing floors

Slept until after 8am again. We seem to be sleeping much later than we do in Nelson, perhaps because the room is dark with all the shutters closed. With no curtains at home we are used to waking up when it is light. Took our new phone card and phone number to the bank and immediately got it registered on our bankcard. Whoopee – can now use our bankcard to buy things online. Straight to the café to order our appliances from Auchan. Ordered a dishwasher, washing machine and clothes dryer (all at the cheapest prices available anywhere). Have yet to find out when they will be delivered – that will be a day for celebration. No more washing the clothes in the bath!!! Managed to fluke a Skype with Bella and Nic while we were online. Lovely to chat with them but unfortunately the connection gave up after about 10 minutes. They are so excited about buying an apartment and are already well into planning quite a make-over in the week before they move into it.



The electrician was supposed to arrive at 11am this morning to do a quote for the electrical work we need done. Alas, he didn’t appear. This is the first time we have been let down by a tradesman so I don’t think we can complain. J spent the day working on Talleys stuff again and I had a wondrous afternoon spent on my knees. First I scrubbed half the living room floor. The colour of the water that I dumped into the bath was unbelievable. At least 100 years’ worth of dirt from in between the floorboards I reckon. Next, it was a round of grinding with wire wool and turps to get off old splatters of paint etc. By the time I had finished I finished at 5pm I had unknowingly worn grazes into my knees (through my trousers) and the fingers of my gloves had completely disintegrated from the turps. Absolutely knackered but the floor looks so much better. Now all it needs is a coat of polish and it will be grand. That leaves only half of the floor left to do another day. 

Back to the café to for J to post off more work and a well-deserved vin rouge. 7pm already and no energy for making a meal so wandered along to a local kebab/panini type place and bought a kebab and chips. It hit the spot J